Saturday 15 September 2012

A stop for a comma

Before today, I had only seen a Comma butterfly, Polygonia c-album, this year, but today I saw four. Two of them nectared on a large flowering ivy. This fresh individual sat on a rowan leaf and groomed its tongue after feeding on a budlleia in my garden. Although the bright orange upperside of the Comma is striking, I love the mimetic, subtle tones of its underwings. Their dark brown tones and the scalloped edges make them resemble a withered leaf, and there is a strong contrast with their white legs and the neat C on its hindwing. This one offered a wonderful photo opportunity with with ripe rowan berries as a background.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you know what these are? My garage is infested!
Marshall
Wilmette
/Users/admin/Desktop/???BUG.JPG